U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
Department of Homeland Security
District 5SR Division 23 Flotilla 23-6 THE DRUM POINT FLOTILLA Calvert County'sVolunteer Lifesavers
- AUX National Home (N)
- AuxDirectory (N)
- What’s New (N)
- CGAUX Help Desk (N)
- Members Only Page (N)
- District 5SR AUX Home
- District 5SR AUX Public Affairs
- Division 23 Home
- Flotilla 23-6 wow (N)
- Public Boating Classes (N)
- My Online 29 (7029)
- Auxiliary Forms (N)
- My 7028
- My 7030
- My 7038 (VE)
- My 7039 (Workshop)
- My 7054 (ATON)
- Member Training
- Meeting Location
- Auxiliary Training Classroom
Date: July 25, 2012
Contact: Public Affairs Detachment Baltimore
Office: (410) 576-2541
BALTIMORE — The Coast Guard is asking for assistance with locating a hoax caller after they received six false distress calls between May 1 and June 1 and conducted four searches involving multiple air and boat crews from the Coast Guard and local authorities.
The Coast Guard’s cost for the searches is estimated to be approximately $70,000.
In addition to cost, there is significant operational impact caused by making false distress calls.
“Making false distress calls limits the Coast Guard and our rescue partners’ capabilities to assist those boaters that are in actual emergency situations,” said Capt. Kevin Kiefer, commander of Sector Baltimore. “Hoax radio calls also place first responders in unnecessary danger as they work to assist the boating public.”
Making a false distress call is a felony punishable by law. The maximum penalty for making a false distress call is six years in prison, a $5,000 civil fine, a $250,000 criminal fine and reimbursement to the Coast Guard.
Anyone with information regarding the calls is asked to contact Coast Guard Investigative Service Baltimore at 410-576-2515.
Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790.
The United States Coast Guard — Proud History. Powerful Future.
- AUDIO RELEASE: Coast Guard seeking assistance to ID prank caller Date: July 12, 2010 Contact: 5th District Public Affairs (757)...
- AUDIO Available – Coast Guard looking for hoax caller First District Public Affairs U.S. Coast Guard Multimedia Release Date:...
- Hoax distress calls can cost lives, resources D8 External Affairs U.S. Coast Guard News Release Date: October...
- Coast Guard has increased reward for New Jersey case Date: June 12, 2012 U.S. Coast Guard Contact: Public Affairs...
- Coast Guard releases new information in New Jersey probable hoax case Date: June 20, 2012 D1-PADET NYC – PA2 Jetta Disco...
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
The Division 23 Chesapeake Chatter is available at the Division 23 website.
The Blinker Newsletter is available at the Fabulous 5th Southern Website.
The weekly CGUAX Newsletter is available at SITREP.
THE RBS Department's newsletter WAVES - Watercraft and Vessel Safety is available at the RBS website.
The CGAUXA eBeacon Magazine.
NOTICE/DISCLAIMER Links to non-Coast Guard entities are not under the control of the United States Coast Guard or the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, and are provided for the convenience of our customers. They do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of the linked pages or any commercial or private issues or products presented there. We cannot make any warranty or representation concerning the content of these sites, or secondary sites from the pages to which they link.